We’re moving to Alexandria’s adorable Del Ray neighborhood the same time as its first indoor cycling studio. It must be fate.
Remember the old HomeMade Pizza Co. on Mount Vernon Avenue? The cool folks at Barre Tech decided to turn it into a cycling studio! It officially opens on Saturday, November 15 (you can register for classes beginning Wednesday morning), but I was able to get a sneak peek of the studio and take a class taught by co-owner Kat.
The workout lasted around 45 minutes (full of hills, sprints, and good jams), after which we were treated to some bubbly and yummy treats.
- $24 per ride, with discounts for multi-ride packages.
- Cycling shoes are a must. If you don’t own them, you can borrow a pair for no added cost.
- The studio is cozy. There are a few cubbies to put your stuff, one bathroom, and 15 bikes.
- They have newest Schwinn bikes with awesome computers that track your cadence (RPMs), calories, time, and other fun stats. You can even sync it with your heart rate monitor (bonus: swēt ride will have heart rate monitors for riders to borrow!). Eventually, these stats will sync with your account online so you can track your progress.
- Their teaching method focuses on RPM, which is my FAVORITE because it really pushes you to your limit and you get the best workout.
- The class ends with a cold, eucalyptus-scented towel!
Just another reason to get excited about our big move!